Skip to content

Amending your registration category

Changing your registration category and status

If you're a vet whose circumstances have changed and you need to change your registration category, you can do this online by logging into ‘My Account’ and completing the change of category declaration form.

Depending on the registration category you’re changing to, you may need to pay an additional fee or be entitled to a credit to your account for the registration fee you have already paid. Please visit our fees page to check.

If you require a change of category form to be emailed or posted to you, or you require some assistance, please contact the Registration Department on 020 7202 0707 or

Changing to ‘Practising outside the UK’

‘Practising outside the UK’ is applicable to a veterinary surgeon who is registered and has become a member of the College and is practising but not in the United Kingdom.

Changing to ‘UK-practising’

If you are currently listed as a ‘Practising outside the UK’ or a ‘Non-practising’ member and you are returning to practise in the United Kingdom, you will need to change your registration category to ‘UK-practising’ before you are eligible to practise veterinary surgery anywhere in the UK.

The regulations state that “practise or practising” means (whether or not for remuneration) undertaking acts of veterinary surgery or undertaking any activity which is veterinary related. Veterinary-related activity includes a member who is professionally active, even if not involved in clinical work, e.g. members employed by government departments or agencies, in academia, at research councils, or in industry and commerce. In other words, “practising” is not limited to those in practice, but includes members using their professional qualification in any way. 

Please note you will be asked to supply a copy of your passport before you can change your category to ‘UK-practising’. In addition you may be required to provide a letter of good standing if you have been listed as 'Practising outside the UK' or ‘Non-practising’ for more than 12 months.

For more information please contact the Registration Department on 020 7202 0707 or

Changing to ‘Non-practising’

‘Non-practising’ is applicable if you are not carrying out any veterinary-related activity in the UK or overseas.

'Non-practising' members should not engage in any act of veterinary surgery and should not sign any form of veterinary certification, including vaccination certificates or prescriptions. In effect, they should only undertake activities that may be undertaken by a layperson, for example, those under Schedule 3 of the Act. The issue of payment or non-payment for services is irrelevant.