Skip to content

Make changes to your registration

It's important to tell us about any changes affecting your registration. This way we can make sure your Register entry and contact details stay up to date.

On this page, you’ll find information on how to update your registration, including how to change your name and registration category.

On this page:

Change your registration category

If you're a vet and need to change your registration category, you can do this on My Account. Simply log in and complete the change of category declaration form.

For more information, see our page on changing your registration category.

Update your contact details

To make sure we have up-to-date contact details for you, please let us know within 28 days if you change your:

  • Register or correspondence address,
  • telephone number, or
  • email address.

You can update your details via the “Update details” tab on My Account.

Alternatively, you can:

  • Email us at [email protected]
  • Write to us at Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons, Registration Team, 3 Waterhouse Square, 138-142 Holborn, London, EC1N 2SW

We’ll send your annual renewal notice by email or text. If we don’t have your email address or phone number, we’ll write to you at your correspondence address. It’s important that you keep your contact details up-to-date and let us know as soon as there is a change.

If you contact us from an email address we don’t recognise, we’ll ask you a series of security questions to verify your identity.

Update your practice details

If you start working at a new practice, let us know so we can keep your details and the practice staff list up-to-date.

Change your name

If you need to change your name, you can do this by uploading the relevant document(s) to My Account. The documents you’ll need to provide will depend on the reason for the name change. Because our Register is a legal document, it’s important that we’re sent the correct official documentation.

Changing your name after marriage

You can change your name after marriage by sending us a photocopy of your marriage certificate.

Changing your name after divorce

If you wish to revert to your maiden name, you can do this by sending us a photocopy of your Decree Nisi or Decree Absolute.

Reverting to a previously recorded name

It’s possible to revert to a name that has been recorded on your RCVS record before. You can do this by sending us a copy of your valid passport or EU ID card. Either name can be logged on these documents.

Changing your name for any other reason

To change any part of your name, for a reason not listed on this page, you will need to give us:

  • a deed poll certificate, and
  • a passport in your new name (the same name as stated on your deed poll certificate), or
  • an official sworn statement.

The sworn statement must be written and signed in person by a solicitor. It states that the relevant identity checks have been carried out and that the two names noted in the deed poll certificate are of the same person.

For more information on completing a deed poll, please visit

Changing your signature

You should let all relevant parties know if your signature has changed. This is especially important if you’re responsible for signing anything official, for example:

  • Training records
  • Prescriptions
  • Certificates
  • The ordering of drugs

Add additional qualifications

You can add additional qualifications to your Register entry as long as they’re on our list of “Qualifications Approved for Inclusion in the Register”.

Qualifications can be added via My Account – simply upload your diploma or certificate. You can also send us these documents by email or post.

If your qualification is not on our list, you can apply for it to be added by filling in an application form. If your application is approved, the post-nominals will be added to your Register entry.

Contact us

If you need to get in touch with us, you can:

  • Email us at [email protected]
  • Write to us at Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons, Registration Team, 3 Waterhouse Square, 138-142 Holborn, London, EC1N 2SW
  • Call us on 0207 202 0707

We aim to respond to all requests to amend registration details within three working days. If you haven’t heard from us in this timeframe, please get in touch and we’ll urgently look into your request.

Back to top