Skip to content

Join the Register of Veterinary Surgeons

You must be on the RCVS Register to practise veterinary surgery in the UK. This section has information on how to join the Register, whether you got your veterinary degree in the UK or overseas.

Ready to make your application?

Start here

About the application process

Vet from Wendover Heights surgery writing notesBefore you start your application, you should make sure that:

  • your veterinary qualification is accepted, and
  • you have gathered the documents needed.

The documents you need to register depend on the country or region where you got your veterinary degree.

If your qualification is not accepted by the RCVS, you’ll need to sit the RCVS Statutory Membership Exam.

If you've been registered with the RCVS before, you should apply to restore your name to the Register.

Apply to join the Register

To get started, select the region or country where you qualified:

United Kingdom





Hong Kong


New Zealand

South Africa


A country not on this list

Apply for temporary registration

In certain circumstances, it’s possible for non-MRCVS vet surgeons to apply for temporary registration.

See our temporary registration page to find out more.

English language requirements

To register with the RCVS you must be able to communicate in English at an appropriate level.

To demonstrate this, you can take either:

  • the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or
  • the veterinary version of the Occupational English Test (OET).

You do not have to take an English language test if your veterinary degree was taught and assessed entirely in English. However, you’ll need to provide proof.

See our English Language requirements page to find out more.

Back to top