Skip to content

United Kingdom

UK flag

If you gained your qualification from the UK more than three months ago, please ensure you read all of the information below, before you apply.

Am I eligible?

There are eight veterinary schools in the UK which award degrees that have been approved by the RCVS:

University of Bristol 

University of Cambridge 

University of Edinburgh 

University of Glasgow 

University of Liverpool 

University of Nottingham 

Royal Veterinary College London

University of Surrey

Graduates from any of these schools are eligible to register as a member of the RCVS once their degree has been conferred.

Please note, if you are a veterinary surgeon that studied at a UK veterinary school and you have not yet graduated or you graduated within the last three months please see the Registering as a veterinary surgon - UK graduates page for further information.

For non-EU nationals / European Union rights

Visa / immigration / work permit requirements

Membership of the RCVS licenses you to practise veterinary surgery in the UK. If you have a qualification that meets the requirements above, you can apply regardless of your nationality.

However, it does not exempt you from UK entry visa or immigration requirements where applicable.  Applicants are advised to ascertain these before attempting entry into the UK. Information and assistance can be obtained from the British Embassy or Consulates in Canada or the UK Border Agency.

Applicants seeking long-term employment in the UK may need a work permit, which can only be obtained by an employer.

Is my qualification accepted?

  • Bachelor of Veterinary Science (BVSc)
  • Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine (VetMB)
  • Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine and Surgery (BVM&S)
  • Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine and Surgery (BVMS)
  • Bachelor Veterinary Medicine and Bachelor of Veterinary Surgery (BVM BVS)
  • Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine (BVetMed)
  • Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine and Science (BVMSci)

Which documents do I need?

All applicants must provide documents relating to identification, qualifications and a letter of good standing, as outlined below.


1. A certified photocopy of the identifying page and front cover of your valid passport

2. A recent passport photo

On the reverse of the photo write 1) your name in full   2) your date of birth   3) your signature. Both sides of the photo can be photocopied and submitted with your other documents.


An A4 certified photocopy of your primary veterinary degree diploma

Letter of good standing

You will also need to submit a letter of good standing. Its content and author will vary depending on which of the below categories you fall into:

a. Applicants registering more than 3 months after the date of their graduation and who are registered with a registration / licensing authority:

A letter or certificate of good standing from your current registration / licensing authority.

This should be sent directly to the RCVS by the registration / licensing authority and state that:

  • you are registered to practise as a veterinary surgeon by that authority
  • you are of good professional standing and good character, and there is no charge of unprofessional conduct or a criminal offence outstanding against you, including where relevant details of any cautions or criminal convictions, as well as absolute and conditional discharges and spent convictions, or any adverse findings, including professional disciplinary proceedings against you
  • you hold a veterinary degree

If the letter is not being sent directly to the RCVS from the registration authority then you will need to get it certified.

b. Applicants who are not registered with a registration / licensing authority:

If you are not currently registered with an authority, please submit your application and the RCVS will contact you with further instructions upon receipt of your application.

Please note that letters of good standing are only valid for 3 months after the date of issue and must be valid on the day of the registration appointment.

Back to top

How to apply?

Please ensure you have read all the information above and that you have your required documents ready before you apply.

For information on applying, please visit the How to apply page.

Important Notes

Applications can be received up to six months before you would like to be admitted.  Please avoid submitting your application any earlier than this as we will not be able to hold it open for you.

We aim to process all applications within four calendar weeks** of receiving your application, payment and all supporting documents in the correct format.

All applications are processed in order of the date they are received. We unfortunately cannot fast track an application.

**During busy periods, our processing times can increase to six calendar weeks. We will inform you of this where relevant.  Our priority will always be to process your application as quickly as possible, and we thank you for your patience.