Skip to content

Do I need to change my name?

Not unless you intend to practise under your new name.

If you intend to continue practising under your original name, you will not be required to change your name on the Register. If you would like to practise under your new name, then it is recommended that you change your name on the Register to follow suit.

Related FAQs

  • If you are wishing to change your name, there are few different ways you can do this depending on the reason.

    Due to marriage or divorce

    If you have got married and wish to change your name, you can do this by supplying a photocopy of your full marriage certificate.

    If you wish to revert back to your maiden name, you can do this by providing a photocopy of your Decree Nisi or Decree Absolute.

    Reverting to a previously recorded name

    If you would like to revert to a previously used name, so a name that has been recorded on your RCVS record before, you can do this by sending us a copy of your valid passport or EU ID card. Please note, either name can be logged on your passport or EU ID card.

    Changing your name for any other reason

    To change any part of your name, that has not already been logged on your RCVS record and is not one of the reasons listed above, you will need to supply a deed poll certificate. This will need to be supported by a passport in your new name (the same name as stated on your deed poll certificate), or an official sworn statement. The sworn statement will need to be carried out and signed in person by a solicitor stating that the relevant identity checks have been carried out and the two names noted in the deed poll certificate are of the same person.

    For more information on completing a deed poll, please visit the GOV.UK website.

    How to submit your name change

    You can complete a name change by uploading the relevant document(s) to the My Account area. Alternatively, you can send the document(s) by post or email to the Registration Department using the contact details below.

    We do acknowledge the inconvenience the above request may cause you. Unfortunately, the relevant official documentation is required because the Register is a legal document.

    Finally, if you are responsible for signing anything official, for example training records, prescriptions, certificates or the ordering of drugs, and your signature is changing following your name change then please ensure all relevant parties are informed.