Skip to content

Amending your registration

It's important that you notify us of any changes affecting your registration, so we can ensure your Register entry and contact details remain up to date.

Select an item from the list below:

Change your registration category

Please visit the following web page if you're a vet and you wish to change your registration category.

Update your contact details

If you change your Register or correspondence address, telephone number or email address, you will need to notify the Registration Department within 28 days of the change so we always have your most up to date contact details.

You can update your details online, by logging into My Account.

Alternatively, you can tell us in writing using the contact details at the bottom of this page. 

Your annual renewal notice will be sent by email (if we have a valid email address for you). If we do not have your email address we will send your annual renewal notice to your  correspondence address, so it is important that you keep this up to date and inform us as soon as there is a change.

Update your practice details

If you have changed your employer and you are now working at a new practice, make sure you either you or your practice have notified us so we can ensure your details and the practice staff list is kept up to date. 

Change your name

If you are wishing to change your name, there are few different ways you can do this depending on the reason.

Due to marriage or divorce

If you have got married and wish to change your name, you can do this by supplying a photocopy of your full marriage certificate.

If you wish to revert back to your maiden name, you can do this by providing a photocopy of your Decree Nisi or Decree Absolute.

Reverting to a previously recorded name

If you would like to revert to a previously used name, so a name that has been recorded on your RCVS record before, you can do this by sending us a copy of your valid passport or EU ID card. Please note, either name can be logged on your passport or EU ID card.

Changing your name for any other reason

To change any part of your name, that has not already been logged on your RCVS record and is not one of the reasons listed above, you will need to supply a deed poll certificate. This will need to be supported by a passport in your new name (the same name as stated on your deed poll certificate), or an official sworn statement. The sworn statement will need to be carried out and signed in person by a solicitor stating that the relevant identity checks have been carried out and the two names noted in the deed poll certificate are of the same person.

For more information on completing a deed poll, please visit the GOV.UK website.

How to submit your name change

You can complete a name change by uploading the relevant document(s) to the My Account area.

We do acknowledge the inconvenience the above request may cause you. Unfortunately, the relevant official documentation is required because the Register is a legal document.

Finally, if you are responsible for signing anything official, for example training records, prescriptions, certificates or the ordering of drugs, and your signature is changing following your name change then please ensure all relevant parties are informed.

Add additional qualifications

If you are a vet and want to request the inclusion of additional qualifications to your Register entry, please refer to the list of ‘Qualifications Approved for Inclusion in the Register’ (see the 'Related documents' box at the bottom of this page).

If you wish to include any of these qualifications in your Register entry then please provide a copy of the diploma or certificate. You can do this by uploading it to the My Account area or sending it by fax, email or post to the Registration Department using the details below.

If your qualification is not listed you can apply for it to be added by submitting a completed 'Application to add a new qualification to the RCVS list and post-nominals to your Register entry form, (see the 'Related documents' box). If your application is approved the post-nominals will be added to your Register entry.

Contact us 

If you need to get in touch with us, you can use the following details:

Registration Department
3 Waterhouse Square
138-142 Holborn

E [email protected]

We aim to respond to all requests to amend registration details within 3 working days. Therefore, if you have not received confirmation that your request has been completed during this period then please contact us on 0207 202 0707 or [email protected] and we will have a look in to your request as a matter of urgency.