Terms of Reference
The RCVS Veterinary Nurses Council was established in 2002 and replaced the Veterinary Nurses Committee.
It has overall responsibility for all matters concerning veterinary nurse training, post-qualification awards and the registration of qualified veterinary nurses. (View full terms of reference)
The VN Council comprises veterinary nurses, veterinary surgeons and lay people - details of whom can be found on the VN Council members page. The veterinary surgeons are drawn both from RCVS Council and appointments made by the VN Council.
Annette Amato (T 020 7202 0713, E firstname.lastname@example.org)
Meeting dates and papers
View the VN Council meetings page for meeting dates and links to VN Council agendas and papers.
VN Council membership of other Committees and Sub-committees
Members of VN Council also sit on a number of other RCVS Committees and Sub-Committees.
The functions of the Veterinary Nurses' Council as set out in the Supplemental Royal Charter 2015 and the RCVS delegation scheme 2015 are summarised as follows:
- To set standards for the training and education of persons wishing to be entered in the Register of Veterinary Nurses.
- To set requirements in relation to the registration and conduct of veterinary nurses and thereafter recommend to RCVS Council amendments to registration, discipline and conduct rules.
- To ensure compliance with the requirements of the relevant regulatory authorities relating to vocational qualifications in veterinary nursing.
- To establish and keep under review schemes for post-qualification training and continuing professional development for veterinary nurses, and the outcomes to be achieved, with a view to recording an additional entry in the Register of Veterinary Nurses.
- To recommend to the Operational Board a budget and levels of fees to be charged.
In exercising its functions, the Veterinary Nurses’ Council shall ensure that the welfare of animals and good veterinary practice are central to its work.