Close Close

Welcome to the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons

Visiting European veterinary surgeons

EU Directive 2005/36/EC

The EU Directive 2005/36/EC is in place to allow a European Union rights entitled veterinary surgeon who is lawfully established and registered in another EU member state to provide services on a temporary and occasional basis in another member state.

This service enables registered veterinary surgeons to occasionally cross borders to practise for short periods.

For more information refer to the EU Directive 2005/36/EC.

Please note that registering under the EU Directive 2005/36/EC is subject to certain conditions, as outlined below.  


Provision of Services in the UK

Documents for submitting

Before you can provide services for the first time in the UK, you will need to provide the RCVS with the following documents listed below. You are asked to submit all documentation 14 working days before the date you intend to provide services, or as soon as possible, to allow enough time to carry out the registration process.

  1. Your 'Provision of Services Form - Visiting EU Vets' (see the 'Related documents' box);
  2. Proof of your nationality or European Union rights entitlement;
  3. Evidence of your professional qualification (copy of qualifying degree certificate);
  4. A certificate (letter of good standing) issued by your member state competent authority confirming the following:-
    1. that you are lawfully established as a veterinary surgeon in that state;
    2. that you are not prohibited (permanently or temporarily) from practising as a veterinary surgeon there.

You will be issued with confirmation that your name has been added to the List of Visiting European Veterinary Surgeons together with the date this is effective from and other relevant information within ten working days of the RCVS receiving all the documentation listed above.


Renewing Provision of Services in the UK

It is possible to renew or extend periods on the Visiting European Veterinary Surgeons List by submitting a 'Provision of Services Form - Renewal' (see the 'Related documents' box) and any other relevant evidence of change documents which may be required. Please refer to the renewal form for the list of documents you will need to submit.


Provision of Services in other EU member states

If you are registered as a UK-practising member with the RCVS and you are a European Union rights entitled person who wants to provide services in other EU member states, you will need to ask the RCVS to provide you with a Provision of Services Certificate confirming your current status and good standing.

To request a Provision of Services Certificate, please complete and submit the 'Provision of Services Form - Other EU member states' (see the 'Related documents' box). Please note there is a small fee for the issue of each Provision of Services Certificate. We regret that we are unable to accept payment by credit card.

You are asked to submit the completed declaration form and payment 14 working days before the date you wish to register with your new veterinary association, or as soon as possible.

You will be issued with a copy of your Provision of Services Certificate together with confirmation that it has been sent within ten working days of the RCVS receiving your form and correct payment.

For more information about Provision of Services, please contact a member of the Registration Department on 020 7202 0707 or by emailing


Website developed by netXtra